Can You Get Your Bail Money Back After Being Wrongfully Accused?

Being wrongfully accused of a crime that you didn’t commit can certainly bring a wave of mental and emotional trauma to your life, especially if you had to pay a high price for your bail bond amount set by the judge. So what happens when you’re proven innocent? Do you get your bail money back? Are you given a refund? To answer this in short . . . it depends.

Can I Get My Bail Money Back?

If you pay the full bail amount in the form of a cash bond to the court, you can have the money returned to you as long as the defendant attends all required court appearances. If the defendant fails to appear in court, however, this amount is forfeited and will not be returned.

The other option is to hire a bail agent. This means you only need to pay a premium of 10-15% of the initial bail amount and the bondsman will post the bond for you. However, whether or not the defendant is found innocent or guilty, this amount is not returned. This premium acts as a fee for the services rendered by the bail agent in managing the defendant and making sure he or she shows up to all required court appearances.

When Can I Recieve A Refund?

Remember to mark and keep track of all dates required for attending court appearances. Knowing when a case is closed will help you know when you can get your bail money back (assuming you paid the court directly). The amount of time for issuing and receiving a refund can take several weeks or even months, so it’s important to check in with your city finance department for details.

Find a Licensed, Professional Bail Bond Agent

In the unfortunate event you find you or a loved one in jail, give Sportsmans Bail Bonds a call for fast and reliable bail bonds. We are ready to serve you with over 20 years of trustworthy, confidential service in Utah bail bonds. Trustworthy, reliable, confidential. Our agents are available 24/7 to help you get back on track, even on holidays. When you work with Sportsmans, you get the best bail bond service in Utah. You can count on us.